Friday, May 4, 2012

Pure Malt White



Nose: Absolutely lovely. There is distinguishable peat and earthy tonnes. Small-seeded fruits: under ripe peaches. With time sweet citrus: lemon sherbet and Sunkist oranges, and a whiff of lavender and brine. Rich leather hide makes an appearance towards the end.

Taste: Generous peat. Peppered bamboo shoots, a hint of fennel tea and grassy notes. Nutty notes become present gradually. 

Finish: Moderate to long with the reoccurrence of peat and earthy tonnes. Sweet spice followed by again the peppered bamboo shoots. 

Comment: The longer you hold out with this more aromas emerge. Very clean and crisp malt, the peat is not dominating, just the right amount, and a very well balanced dram indeed. This is very affordable vatted malt composed of an Islay whisky and Nikka’s Yoichi. There is speculation as to which Islay malt it is: for interesting detailed information take a look at Nonjatta’s input into the Pure Malt White. Once this bottle is consumed I will be seeking another and making it a permanent fixture in my cabinet.


Reviewed by Clint A

9 comments:

  1. That sounds absolutely lovely! I will definitely have to try this one the next time I'll be in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both the Black and the White is a must Pierre, in my opinion. They are quality whiskies for the minimal price. Enjoy when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite of the Pure Malt series. Tough to beat the price point too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to try the Pure Malt Red Chris, there seems to be mixed thoughts on the red, but again, at the price, you certainly will not be loosing out. Have you got a bottle of the red and what are your thoughts on it?

      Delete
    2. The red is ok. Again for the price it is a good buy but the white is so much better in my opinion for the same price.

      Delete
    3. I searched for the red during the week, only in a few shops, and believe it or not couldn't come across it. Usually it's the White that's hard to find.

      Delete
  4. I bought a bottle of Pure Malt White yesterday. What a lovely whisky!!! I'm a scotch drinker I especially like peaty whisky but this dram was absolutely nice and clean. It's pretty similar to Johnnie Walker Green Label. For the price only 1506 yen it's a great deal. Can you tell me where to find the Pure Malt Black?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, interesting comparison between the Pure Malt White and JW Green. To be honest I have not had a JW Green for some time so I can't make a comparison - perhaps I'll have to do so. As for Pure Malt Black, you can find it quite a few places depending on where you live. Most notably: Yamaya, Bic Camera, Don Qiote, and Seijoishi just to name a few. Also I have come across it at some supermarkets. You shouldn't have trouble finding it, just check out every liquor shop you come across. Like the White, the Black is well worth it - nice and clean indeed.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply Clint! I'll keep an eye open then. Which one do you like best?

      Delete